Monday, January 14, 2008

Some Good Stuff

Just to prove that life isn't all bad right now, here are some of the good things that have been happening this past week:

1. My very Catholic mother-in-law, who I know darn well disapproves of IVF called me, just to let me know she supports us 100% and that she'll do whatever she can to help us during the process. Can I tell you a secret? I love that woman more than I love my actual mom. She's amazing.

2. I bought M one of those little echo microphones, and all of a sudden, she's Ethel Merman. She loooves putting on little shows for us every night. Her favorite song to sing these days is "How Much is that Doggie in the Window." A couple of days a go, she added a little jazzy twist -- she sang "how much is that dooooo-GAY?" by itself a few times in a row before moving on to the rest of the song, and she added a little wiggle on the last syllable. It cracked me right up, so now she does it about 50 times a day. Still makes me giggle.

3. M's also incredibly cuddly these days. Yesterday, she told me to sit on the sofa, then climbed up and put her head in my lap. She just wanted to snuggle for a while.

4. I took my first water-aerobics class in NC the other day. Not only was it fun, but it was actually a good workout! I'd taken a similar class many years ago when I was in DC, but was the youngest person in the pool by a good 40 years. The one I took this weekend had several women of my age (and weight), so it was really comfortable. I'm going to try to keep going to classes at least 2-3 times a week.

5. They haven't done anything specific in the past week, but I have a really kick-ass group of friends here in NC. They're all women I met at a new-baby class at the hospital where I had M. From the class grew a playgroup, and from there have grown some really great friendships. I am so lucky to have these women in my life (and their kids are pretty great, too).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And, finally, an IVF update. We have our education/orientation class tomorrow, and If my body cooperates, I'll go on the pill Thursday or Friday, and may be able to start injectibles as early as Feb. 1. First, though, my body has to start cooperating. I have until 6 pm tomorrow to get my period, or else we'll have two wait two additional weeks, since my clinic only starts cycles on the first and third Friday of every month. As of right now, I am two days late (but no, not pregnant.) I'm sitting here trying to threaten my uterus into cooperating, but so far, it's holding firm. I need leverage.

1 comment:

meh said...

Re: the microphone. Oh my goodness, such memories. My kids had one when they were little. They used to stand up on a step-stool and give performances. Sh (with her wild curly hair)would say with gusto, "Ladies & gentlemens [sic], Bouys & Gewls, The SHOW is ABOUT to BEGIN!" We still laugh about that one & still mimick her 13 years later. Enjoy the moments - they go FAST! Take photos!! & Know I'm thinking of you every day.