Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Yes, he Could

I don't even really know how to write this post. I'm so proud and happy right now that our country has chosen Barack Obama to be our next president. Looking at the map, especially as compared to 2004, makes it clear just how broad Obama's appeal is and how very much things have changed in the US in the last four years.

Virginia went for a Democrat for the first time in 40 years. It looks right now like my adopted home state of NC will do the same. That's amazing.

McCain's speech last night, it must be said, was gracious. In it, he showed signs of the moderate, thoughtful candidate that I actually considered voting for in 2000. I wonder how this race would have ended if he'd stuck with that moderate message, instead of letting his campaign slide onto the low road. Although my opinion of him has taken a nosedive in recent months, I still think he's to be admired for his decades of service to our country.

It's hard to see how things won't be very difficult for this country in the next four years, but today I'm full of hope that at least we have the right person to see us through them.

No comments: