Sunday, September 02, 2007

Finally, a plan!

So after all my whining and bitching and moaning last week about not being pregnant, I decided that maybe it was time to start acting like an adult, so The Boy and I sat down and finally had a talk about what we want to do with regard to a second child.

Surprisingly, The Boy was much more receptive to talking than he'd been in the past. I explained to him that if I'm not pregnant by the end of the year, I want to start the IVF process in January. At first, he balked, saying that seemed awfully quick. But once I pointed out to him that, by that point, we'll have been trying for six months (aka three times longer than we've ever had to try before), he agreed that it was probably the right decision. We even decided how we'd pay for it! Now we just have to hash out what to do if it doesn't work on the first try, but I'm willing to defer that conversation for a few weeks.

Even better, we also managed to solve the other problem that had me so angry last week. I'm scheduled to visit my mom this week, taking M but leaving The Boy behind. When I scheduled the trip, I was careful to choose dates that wouldn't interfere with our reproductive efforts. However, my body decided that since it hates me, it would start having shorter cycles. This happened last month too, but I thought it was a fluke. Now that it happened again this month, I have to assume it's yet one more "new normal." Fine. But that meant my trip would have me out of town on O-day and for the three days preceding it. This fact was killing me, because I kind of feel that with only one tube, I'd better make damn sure we don't miss any chances (just in case September is the one month out of the next four when the proper ovary releases an egg).

I was bitching to a friend about this (yes, I also bitch in real life, thereby defeating half the purpose of this blog), and she asked why I didn't just have the Boy come to my mom's too. I never in a million years thought he'd go for it, but I asked anyway. To my shock, The Boy immediately decided this was a good idea and booked himself a plane ticket. So now I just have to figure out a way to explain to my mom why The Boy is showing up for just one night of our trip (he has to work, so can only come over the weekend), without admitting that he's pretty much just there to try to get me pregnant.

But anyway, is it any wonder I love this Boy? I know I complain about him a fair amount, but he's willing to give up his first totally free weekend in over a year (and deal with my mom), just so we won't miss our chance this month. He's such a good boy.

So anyway, the point of this loooong post is that I'm feeling much better. I'm so glad the Boy and I finally had this talk, and that we appear to be on the same page. And I think I can totally make it through the next four months, knowing that we have a next step charted out.

No comments: