Thursday, July 10, 2008

Mother Nature's Diet Plan

So you all know that in April, back when we expected our FET to fail, I started a diet program. I can't say I stuck with it perfectly, but I did give it a good shot. I lost somewhere between 3-5 pounds in the 8 weeks I was on it. Not exactly a ringing success.

Of course, the moment I found out I was pregnant, I went off the diet (and even stopped exercising, which I realize isn't a good thing). I am trying to be careful about what I eat, but only to try to get the nutrients I and the baby need, not to lose weight.

But, see, there's this nausea thing. And the fact that I just don't want to eat anything. And the fact that once I do find something that I want to eat, I feel full and bloated after only a few bites. Throw all of those things together, and since transfer day (May 22) I've lost somewhere between 6 and 8 pounds.

So it seems that all I need to do, once I'm actually ready to lose weight again, is find a way to replicate the hormonal cocktail of a first-trimester pregnancy. Of course, the tradeoff to that would be feeling like shit for the year or more it would take me to lose all the weight I need to lose. But still. I wonder if I could get a doctor to prescribe me large doses of progesterone for weight loss purposes.

In the meantime, I find myself in the odd position of trying to stop myself from losing weight. I don't think I've ever been here before -- generally, I gain weight by simply breathing. And I do want to exercise more this pregnancy than I did with M, but I think I'll keep giving myself a pass on that one until I get over the first-trimester fatigue.

1 comment:

Debz said...

and if you can bottle that, i will buy 2 cases