Thursday, December 30, 2010

I'm baaaack!

And boy, do I have a story for you!

("you" of course, means the computer-driven bots that leave spam comments on this blog, since no real people will ever see this post).

Since it's been a year since I last posted, I should catch you up on what's been happening here. The short answer is, "not much." Basically, we've been living our lives, enjoying our girls and looking forward to the future. I started thinking about going back to work, and we embarked on some major home renovations. A friend announced that she's having a third child, and both The Boy and I were able to express our heartiest congratulations, while both privately thinking "better you than me!" We're good at being a family of four, we like being a family of four, we are happy with two kids.

You already know what's about to happen, don't you?

Last week, we were in NJ for Christmas with my mom, and I felt lousy the whole time -- queasy and anxious. Naturally, I chalked it up to being with my mom (who could make anyone feel sick). Except that I still felt queasy after we got home. Add in the fact that I was about a week late, and I started thinking that maybe I should take a test, just for old time's sake. I already knew I wasn't pregnant. After all, I've been down this road before -- my period would be late, and a combination of wishful thinking and sheer delusion would drive me to the dollar store. Afterwards, sitting with the negative test in my hands, I'd feel like a jerk and promise not to do that ever again.

But still, I had a test in my cabinet from about a year ago, so I figured it couldn't hurt. At least I'd be certain and would be able to move on. So I took it, and got the shock of my life: a faint pink line. It was so faint I had to make my sister come confirm it was there. Which she did, so immediately called the Boy and ordered him to bring me FREDs.

When The Boy arrived home a half hour later with more tests, I immediately took another one, and the pee hadn't even finished crossing the window when a bright line popped up.

WHOA. This is impossible! For those of you who maybe don't know my history, I am infertile. I lost one fallopian tube to an ectopic pregnancy three years ago, and the other is so scarred and twisted that three separate doctors had told me I would never again conceive without the help of IVF. It is supposed to be physically impossible for me to get pregnant. And even if I did manage to somehow, miraculously, conceive, there was virtually no chance that the embryo would land in my uterus. I'd be looking at another ectopic for sure.

But here's the kicker -- not only am I pregnant , but it is NOT ectopic. We had an ultrasound yesterday, and there is a tiny little sac right where it should be. Miracle piled upon miracle.

At this point, it's way too early to determine whether this pregnancy is viable, but there is no particular reason to suspect it isn't. I'll go back in January for another ultrasound. And until then, The Boy and I will be trying to wrap our minds around becoming a family of five.

Consider our minds totally blown.